History of the Ortrugo
The vineyard was first mentioned in 1818, when the Italian Bramieri called it altruga, dialect for “different grape”, because it was different from then better known grapes. The name indicated a grape mainly used to produce varietal wines. Such name and purpose are used in the Bolletino Ampelografico by the Italian Ministry of Agriculture (1881).
Because of the huge success of the Malvasia di Candia aromatica and of the Gutturnio in the Piacenza area, the Ortrugo suffered for many years, relegated to very few hectares and the grapes never vinified in purity.
In 1967, when the D.O.C. Colli Piacentini was created, the Ortrugo was almost extinct. But, at the beginning of the 1970s, some producers from the area, especially those from Mossi di Albareto (Ziano), rediscovered the Ortrugo and began giving value to the variety, first by vinifying it in purity. The Università di Piacenza took an interest in the Ortrugo and, during the 1980s, it was finally recognized as a D.O.C. From 2010, the Ortrugo has its own set of rules for its three varieties: still, sparkling and spumante. Today, it is mainly grown in the Val Tidone and it is one of the most important varieties from Piacenza, thanks to its 600ht.